Monday, May 26, 2008

declare your craft!

All the posts on this blog so far have focused on the business and environmental impact of craft, but what about the fun part?



Yup, that's Britney Spears. In cross stitch. Or as the rebels like to say, xstitch. I invite you to...

In addition to "normal" crafts, like stitching up tasteful pullovers from Vogue Knitting, I am fascinated by what happens when you cross-stitch photos of people and animals. Sometime in college I discovered a computer program that turns photos into cross-stitch patterns. The results are uber-creepy and weirdly fascinating:



I mean, some grandmothers love their progeny so much, they still adore them when they see these creepy pixellated versions of their beloved. It's heartwarming.

In 2001, when I first encountered these photo transformation programs, I had a quiet fascination with Britney Spears. Remember the "Oops I Did It Again" era? Before Kevin and the two babies and the rehab and the shears? Yeah, she was hot and had her act together:



Britney and I are both 1981 babies, so it was interesting to watch the media treatment of her as we both came into our own as women. At the same time she was bursting onto the scene, when we were both 17, I had my first real boyfriend and identified with someone who held a lot of power because of a sexuality that she did not quite understand.


The swiftness of the story the media told about Britney -- from Lolita to barely legal to sloppy seconds -- unnerved me. In two years they took her from virginal treat to used-up tart. And now, several years later, Britney is a highly troubled and perpetually bloated-looking mother of two. I still feel like an attractive young woman but who knows, maybe I'm past my prime too! But I digress..


It became imperative that I cross stitch Britney. After purchasing 34 colors of DMC embroidery floss and investing the better part of a winter break, the following "art work" emerged. Cross stitch Britney is photographed in my bedroom on an unusual cloudy day in San Francisco.











Inspired by awesome blogs like Radical Cross Stitch, I've been thinking about picking up an embroidery needle again. There's a lot of incredible political cross stitch out there -- here's one great example and see this xstitch photo archive for more:





Truth be told, when I look into my heart to see what I want to stitch, it always seems to come back to photos of celebrity girls who somehow embody a quality or lifestyle I'm consciously ashamed to admire. The Britney love has died. Who would I cross stitch today? Hands down, it would have to be Lauren Conrad:




2 comments:

willotoons said...

heee - I just realized that is YOUR pillow. That is so awesome! And you should definitely do Lauren next, please do! Then do one for me of Jessica Simpson because I'm totally in love with her. haha.

I also love that I just watched that whole video thanks to you. Boy did the world have a different view of her when that came out, huh?

Anyway - great post. The link you sent has a great cross stitch perfect for a friend of mine, too.

xo

willotoons said...

I meant the link you posted (to Radical Cross Stitch).